Amani Forest Camp is in the East Usambara Mountains, two hours drive north of Muheza Town on the road to Tanga.
Download Directions HERE!
FLY – Tanga
There are several aviation companies offering regular flights to Tanga, which is also only about 80km scenic drive away. We can arrange transfers to and from the airstrip and can also book your flights to/from Tanga from Arusha, Dar es Salaam, or Zanzibar.
Most people who visit Amani Forest Camp are self-drive or come by road with their tour operator or public transport. Amani Forest Camp can also do vehicle transfers from Dar Es Salaam/Moshi/Arusha/Pangani/Tanga/Lushoto and Muheza towns.
Emau Hill is about 400km almost due North of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, not far after Segera on the road to Tanga. Leaving Dar very early (before 6am) can help to avoid some of the traffic on the roads and make for a great sunrise around the Ruvu River (and endemic weavers).
- To drive, take the Bagamoyo road out of Dar es Salaam, and continue for around 4-5 hours through Bagamoyo to Msata (turn right).
- At Segera (turn right to towards Tanga) and drive 30km to Muheza
- We are 40km from Muheza.
- In Muheza follow signs for Amani Nature Reserve.
- Go through Bombani and after Kisiwani (about 1h) enter the Amani Nature Reserve at Sigi Gate. Entrance fees are paid at the Amani Nature Reserve Head Quarters further up the mountain ($20 for a non citizen entance/exit).
- Climb through a series of hairpin bends towards Amani.
- Do NOT take the right turn to Derema,
- Go through Amani towards Kwamkoro and, 1 1/2km after Amani Nature Reserve Head Quarters, you will see our Camp sign on the left hand side of the road, turn left at the sign and we are 3.5kms from this turn off.
- Take this narrow track through forest and farms, cross a small river, and fish ponds
- Through forest and up a hill to Emau Hill Forest Camp.
- Find us on google Earth: 05 6 45 43S, 38 36 36 55E
From Muheza 2hrs
From Tanga: 3hrs
From Dar 6 hrs
From Moshi 5 hrs
From Arusha 7 hrs
Sometimes, in the wet season the road is not suitable for non-4x4 vehicles. During these times, you can leave your car at our neighbor and we can transfer you to the camp (cost $25 each way per vehicle). The road to Amani has been resurfaced in some areas and there are plans in the future to tar it.
There are many buses stopping at Muheza Town from all over the country. There are two buses operating from Muheza to Amani leaving in the afternoon. We can organise a car to come and pick you up – the most popular option – from either Muheza (cost $120 each way per vehicle) or from Amani Forest Camp turn off (cost $155 each way)
We can arrange a transfer from the station to the camp.