How to get here?
Amani Forest Camp is situated on the border of the Amani Nature Reserve in the East Usambara Mountains, two hours drive north of Muheza Town on the road to Tanga.
FLY – IN
There are several aviation companies offering regular flights to Tanga or Pangani, which are about 80km scenic drive away. We can arrange transfers to and from the airstrips. You can also book your flights from Tanga or Pangani to Arusha, Dar es Salaam or Zanzibar.
Most people who visit Amani Forest Camp are self-drive or come by road with their tour operator or public transport. Amani Forest Camp can also do vehicle transfers from Dar es Salaam/Moshi/Arusha/Pangani/Tanga/Lushoto and Muheza towns.
Emau Hill is about 400km almost due North of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, not far after Segera on the road to Tanga. Leaving Dar very early (before
- To drive, take the Bagamoyo road out of Dar es Salaam, and continue for around 4-5 hours through Bagamoyo to Msata (turn right).
- At Segera (turn right to towards Tanga) and drive 30km to Muheza
- We are 40km from Muheza.
- In Muheza follow signs for Amani Nature Reserve.
- Go through Bombani and after Kisiwani (about 1h) enter the Amani Nature Reserve at Sigi Gate. Entrance fees are paid at the Amani Nature Reserve Head
Quarters furtherup the mountain ($20 for a non citizen entrance/exit).
- Climb through a series of hairpin bends towards Amani.
- Do NOT take the right turn to
- Go through Amani towards Kwamkoro and, 1 1/2km after Amani Nature Reserve Head Quarters, you will see our Camp sign on the
left handside of the road, turn left at the sign and we are 3.5kms from this turn off.
- Take this narrow track through forest and farms, cross a small river, and fish ponds
- Through forest and
upa hill to Emau Hill Forest Camp.
- Find us on
From Muheza 2 hrs
From Tanga 3 hrs
From Dar 6 hrs
From Moshi 5 hrs
From Arusha 7 hrs
Sometimes, in the wet
There are many buses stopping at Muheza Town from all over the country. There are two buses operating from Muheza to Amani leaving in the early afternoon. We can organise a car to come and pick you up – the most popular option – from either Muheza or from Amani Village.
Click on more options below to see the full directions map in google.